If you are in a motor vehicle accident and you believe the other driver was at fault, or it is not clear who may have been at fault, what should you do?
- Call the police.
- Collect and exchange information with the other drivers, passengers and eyewitnesses. Capturing complete eyewitness information is essential; especially if you are on private property or the police otherwise say they cannot be involved.
- Unless you are severely injured and needing or receiving medical attention, take pictures of the damage to and location of the vehicles. Since most mobile phones now have cameras it should be relatively easy, or consider keeping a disposable camera in the glove compartment. In severe accidents it is becoming more common for the police to also take photos or video, so note if they do.
- If you are injured, get immediate medical attention even if you think you can “tough it out”.
- Write down the facts that occurred and what was said as soon as you are able.
- Notify your automobile insurance company as quickly as possible.
- Do not admit fault. Do not consent to work out auto damage repairs or medical care.
- Keep a copy of this list in your glove compartment.
- If you are injured, then you should consult an attorney. If the injuries and medical bills are minimal, in most instances an honest attorney will tell you that you can resolve your case directly with the insurance company for a fair settlement – eliminating paying part of the recovery for the attorney fee. The experienced attorney also may be able to provide a general settlement range. However, if the injuries are more significant, hiring a good, reputable personal injury attorney will be worth it – especially to help you navigate the medical, insurance, employment, disability, property damage and other issues involved.
This article provides general information only. For more details please be sure to contact an attorney. Locke & Quinn provides personal injury and other personal legal services. Article provided by Colleen M. Quinn, Esq. at https://plus.google.com/+LockeQuinnColleenMQuinnRichmond/about.